Thursday, March 31, 2011

Honda Dreams Fund (Essay)


HONDA Dreams Fund is the opportunity I have been waiting for to realize my dreams. Since I was young, I have always aspired to be a radio personality.

It all began when I was in the first form. Treading into form one, it came to me that secondary school was an utter different world to me. Just then, my jaw totally sagged when I got back my exam results. I was on the verge of failing those subjects and was thrown into a tailspin of despair. On my way home, I kept wondering why on earth I was so obtuse while zapping through radio stations on the car. Then, I tuned in to a station and heard one talk show, which bucked me up.

The deejays have always been the ones who cheer people up and also the ones who keep us posted on the up-to-the-minute tidings. Every time I turned on the radio, I got carried away listening to the deejays cracking awesome one-liners and thought that perhaps I could one day be like them. I’d always have a little bogus microphone and do shows in the house while mimicking the deejays ever since. Was it ever bizarre! But it was indeed a known fact!

My dream to be a deejay hadn’t faded even until form six. That time, the idea of becoming a deejay grew even stronger when I was dubbed the “Voice of Ketari High” after my stint of that day as a substitute deejay for a friend of mine who was away from school. Then, I was asked to do a radio show during recess every other day. I got psyched right off the bat from playing songs and bringing everyone up to date with news of the day! I then felt like I had a vocation for being a deejay. What bliss!

Soon after that, I was asked to host the opening ceremony of the English Language Society. On the stage, I even received a rousing ovation from the audience for my witty banter. Only then did the wingspans of my latent talent extend and I then realized that I’d found my niche in radio broadcasting and wished to parlay my skill into broadcasting by embarking on this career in the approaching future.

Money woes aside, I certainly relish the fact of being able to go to university as it means a lot to me. However, trying to make ends meet at once is no easy matter for my family. Parents have to work long hours, to the detriment of their health. Now, with Honda Dreams Fund I believe my dreams are within the realms of possibility. I promise to keep my side of the bargain by working hard come what may.

I’m hoping in earnest that the panel of judges will consider my essay and give me a chance by extending an invitation to the Dare to Dream Workshop to me. I really hope that I can work towards my goal. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment